CM_Logo

Sunday, December 14, 2008

My 2009 Race Schedule: Starting to Take Shape

by Christine Mortesen 0 comments

Tag


Share this post:
Design Float
StumbleUpon
Reddit

So it's that time of year again where I reflect on the year past and look forward to the coming of next year. What over zealous running plans can I shoot for this year? If you look back a year ago I had this nifty idea that in 2008 I should try running a half marathon each month!

Sounded good at the time and I at least ran a half in Jan, Feb, and Aug with a race each month through at least June. After that,  sprinkle in marathon training and I started to get a bit burnt out. After the burn out I started to incur injury upon injury and had to go so far as stop my marathon training. I wrestled with the decision for weeks; push on and risk further and more  permanent injury or cut my losses and try again (and harder) next year?

Well, many of you know I chose the former option and with any luck my 3rd go at completing the Chicago Marathon will be a shining success. One can only hope. The 2007 Chicago Marathon was canceled while I was at mile 16.5, and last year I didn't train as consistently as I should have, and thus the likely cause of my injuries in 2008.

I did however get to spend much more time learning 2's beach volleyball and refining my overall volleyball skills. So that was a nice trade off. Let's see... [holds out hands to resemble a scale] fun and sun at the beach...or get up at the crack of dawn to beat the heat and run an insane amount of miles when I should still be sleeping. A no brainer yeah?

Anyways, now is the time of year I start to plan out my race schedule for the coming year. If you plan on registering for any of those below please let me know. It'd be great to compare training notes, and maybe even meet up for a run or two if you're in the Chicago area! Fleet Feet has great Monday and Wednesday night Fun runs every week throughout the year (yes, these runs are outside all year long).  I really need to start getting back into the habit of doing these as I've been slacking far long enough :)

Hopefully I'll finally find out what's wrong with my hip when I meet my new physical therapist next Friday. I've been putting this off for far too long. Eeeeek! I may be a little early for that hip replacement I have scheduled for 2059.

Cheers!



January
-none- 
Get back into running form & off my duff! :)
Register for Shamrock Shuffle Jan. 1

February
-none yet- 
  • I would do the Fly with the Eagles Half Marathon in Marion Il. again but I'm not finding any information on this years race yet.
  • Register for the 2009 Chicago Marathon (Feb. 1?)- Third time's the charm yeah?


March
3/30- Shamrock Shuffle

April
4/26- Race to Wrigley 5K

May
May 2-3 199 Mile Relay Race from Calistoga to Santa Cruz California I can't wait for this one! It was so much fun last year!!!!

(Date?) Solider Field 10 Mile

June
-none yet-

July
-none yet- 

August
8/2- Rock n'Roll Chicago Half Marathon
This is where it all went wrong last year (when it was the Chicago Distance Classic). Starting around mile 10 or 11 my hip was hurting so bad it was making me limp. It still acts up now but anytime I run more than 3 or so miles! Uhg!

September

-none yet-


October
10/11-Chicago Marathon
(?)- Pumpkins in the Park 5k

November
(?)-Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot 8k

December
(?)- Rudolph Ramble

Comments 0 comments

Christine Mortensen
Visual Designer, UX Advocate, Social Medial Maven, Interactive Media Strategist, Blogger, and in my spare time I'm a Runner, Volleyball Player, and Bloody Mary Fan
CHICAGO-ILLINOIS
christine.mortensen@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail
Subscribe in your preferred RSS reader

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Categories

My Photos on flickr

Vball Network on Facebook

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Technorati

Technorati
My authority on technorati
Add this blog to your faves