CM_Logo

Monday, March 30, 2009

HTML Email: What NOT to do

by Christine Mortesen 0 comments



Share this post:
Design Float
StumbleUpon
Reddit

I'm not sure what I can say about this Mountain Dew email (or Dews letter if you will) other than this is a perfect example of how NOT to create an HTML email. Keep in mind I'm much more marketer than developer but I can tell you a few things wrong with this picture.

1. Images do not download until i hit the tiny little "Download Pictures" link
2. Even worse, there's a gazillion of images here that will not load. If it's 1 or 2, heck maybe in some case 5 larger image slices is fine. The sheer number here makes this look like a mess at best and spam at worse.
3. As the creator of this you don't really know what email reader this is going to be delivered to so I can understand the desire to keep the integrity of the design by using images but at least offer me a link at the top of the email to view this in a browser in case one of the fifty images throw a table cell out of whack an render your email unreadable.
4. I'm not even going to comment on the visual design you see once you choose to download pictures other than less is more.

I will point out that at least the subject line has been given some [some] thought.

What do you think?

Comments 0 comments

Christine Mortensen
Visual Designer, UX Advocate, Social Medial Maven, Interactive Media Strategist, Blogger, and in my spare time I'm a Runner, Volleyball Player, and Bloody Mary Fan
CHICAGO-ILLINOIS
christine.mortensen@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail
Subscribe in your preferred RSS reader

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Categories

My Photos on flickr

Vball Network on Facebook

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Technorati

Technorati
My authority on technorati
Add this blog to your faves