CM_Logo

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Application Requirements- The scarey & the scarier!

by Christine Mortesen 0 comments

Tag


Share this post:
Design Float
StumbleUpon
Reddit

So in order to keep track of the things I need for my school applications I'm making, as I often do, a "To Do" list.

  • Original Transcripts from undergraduate school(s):
    American Academy of Art
    Columbia College Chicago
  • Letter of recommendation (1)
  • Letter of recommendation (2)
  • GMAT Test (550 or higher)
  • Current Resume
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Application Fee (varies per school)
As I feel these things become completed I'll cross 'em off...simple! Ha!

Ok, so original transcripts won't take much more than a letter or a couple of phone calls. The Application fee is going to be easy as well. I also think that getting letters of recommendation from 2 co-workers will be relatively easy but if they need to be from separate areas of my life that might be a touch more tricky, but still nothing I'm too worried about.

What I AM worried about is the rest of it!

Updating my resume, which is about 5 years old, is going to be a pain in the butt. I can't see that this is terribly crucial however, considering that many grad students come straight from undergad with little to no work experience. I know this is not the case for me, however, it's not like I'm actually job hunting so I may be able to get away with a light update. I've been fleshing out my LinkedIn profile over the past couple of months in anticipation of this so I've being working on it little by little.

Slightly more daunting is the statement of purpose. I know why I want to continue my education it's just a matter of putting all those thoughts down in a very organized, logical, and not-to-mention interesting way. This will just take some time and re-work, and more re-work.

Now, we get to the mother of all pains in the butt...the GMAT. Who's idea was it to demand standardized tests as a criteria of acceptance anyway? :) I need a 550 or higher for most of the schools and programs I'm considering...sounds attainable since the highest you can get is 800. Plus, I don't know if you can use an ACT score as an indicator but I got a 26 on that without really trying so I feel like with nose-to-the-grindstone attitude I can get a 600 or higher. I need to take a few practice tests to see where I land at the moment and see where I need to focus most.

I know for a fact, however, that I'm going to need to spend a considerable amount of time brushing up on my Math skillz (that's right, I busted out the z). I hated math in high school and I'm still not that great at it. Although I am a bit more open to the subject these days as I can now see how it helps to keep you sharp even if you're not trying to calculate the time that 2 trains will meet if one leaves the station at...

It also won't kill me to brush up on my writing skills. I'm sure I have horrible grammar habits having been so marketing and design focused these past few years. I feel like blogging has helped a bit even though I still can't spell worth a lick!

With all that said, maybe taking this GMAT test won't be so bad. If nothing else it'll make me stronger in critical thinking (not to mention make me go out and drink less ;)

I'll keep ya posted once this all gets underway in the coming weeks. Oh, and if anyone has any thoughts, pearls of wisdom, or questions please leave a comment below.

Cheers!!!

Comments 0 comments

Christine Mortensen
Visual Designer, UX Advocate, Social Medial Maven, Interactive Media Strategist, Blogger, and in my spare time I'm a Runner, Volleyball Player, and Bloody Mary Fan
CHICAGO-ILLINOIS
christine.mortensen@gmail.com

Subscribe feeds via e-mail
Subscribe in your preferred RSS reader

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Entries

Categories

My Photos on flickr

Vball Network on Facebook

Subscribe feeds rss Recent Comments

Technorati

Technorati
My authority on technorati
Add this blog to your faves